Deadline Date: 10-Jan-2023
African citizens between the age of 18 – 25 years are invited to submit their essays for this year’s Youth Leadership Competition, organized as part of the 2023 African Leadership Forum (ALF).
This competition aims to provide an opportunity for the youth of Africa and the next generation of leaders in the region to share their perspectives on leadership as it relates to promoting African intra-trade to unlock agricultural potential in Africa.
The next year’s ALF will be co-convened by H.E. Dr. Jakaya Kikwete, ALF Patron and fourth President of the United Republic of Tanzania and H.E. Wamkele Mene, Secretary-General of the African Continental Free Trade Area Secretariat (AfCFTA), in Accra, Ghana from 23 – 24 February. The theme will be “Promoting African intra-trade to unlock agricultural potential in Africa”.
- The essays should respond to the following question:
- If you were an African leader, how would you promote African intra-trade to unlock agricultural potential in Africa?
- Up to five winners will be selected. Winners will be asked to create posters to visually describe their ideas. The posters will be showcased at the ALF.
- Winners will receive their awards at a prize giving ceremony to be held during the ALF Gala Dinner on 23 February, 2023. The ceremony will be attended by senior leaders from across Africa, representing public, private and third sectors.
- A grand prize of USD $2,000 will be awarded to the overall winner, and they will be asked to read their essay at the dinner event.
- Selected winners residing outside Ghana will be required to have valid travel documents for travel. UONGOZI Institute will cover the costs related to their travel, including visa fees, air ticket and accommodation.
- It is open to all African citizens (including the diaspora) between the age of 18 – 25.
- All essays must be typed. The minimum length is 500 words, and the maximum is 700 words. The format shall be of single spaced, Arial font size 11 with page margins of 1 inch (2.54 cm) for each margin, and sent as a Microsoft Word document.
- Applicants must also submit a written statement of originality and ownership of intellectual property rights.
- Essays will be judged on the basis of originality, creativity, use of language and appropriateness to contest theme.
For more information, visit ALF.